優秀公民
優秀公民
文章: 54
註冊時間: 2011-08-06 15:40
來自: 雲南昆明

Is train trip popular in the U.S.?

文章 大陸鐵道迷 »

Is train trip popular in the U.S.?

爲了瞭解美國鐵路知識,我上美國Yahoo! Answers網站(http://answers.yahoo.com)問了一個問題“Is train trip popular in the U.S.?”,老美的回答很踴躍哦!我一共收到11條回覆,從中選出了最佳答案。下面就給出這次精彩問答の全文記錄。(原文見http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AjppQPF2jD4y0KbW9it78Trty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20110814183920AAJxeav)

Question Title:Is train trip popular in the U.S.?

Detail:In China, Taiwan, India, Japan and Europe, riding trains to other area or city (train trip) is quite popular. Maybe it is not the same in America? I have heard a parlance before: American people rarely go by train, if the distance is within 400km they will drive by themselves, if beyond 400km they will take a plane, no consideration for train at all.

PS: I am a Chinese railfan.

==
Best Answer (by Bookworm530) - Chosen by Asker

Bookworm530:

It IS popular with a small segment of the population and in certain regions where the population density is high enough to support rail service !!

Before World War II, the rail system was THE way to travel in the USA... the auto-culture and airlines didn't arrive until the 1950s. Without passengers in sufficient numbers, the rail-culture died out !! And the Federal Government's attempt to subsidize the passenger rail system with "Amtrak" has failed because of limited routes, high prices, and LATE trains.

Personally, I would LOVE to travel by train... but living in the country, it's a 112km drive to GET to a train station !! When I lived in the city I commuted 70km each morning BY commuter train... and would use another commuter train to travel 200km to Stockton where my brother would drive me the rest of the way to his ranch.

I truly look FORWARD to the planned California High-Speed Rail system... but they don't expect completion until 2025... and the anti-rail crowd is trying to pull the funds for other uses.
-----------
Asker's Rating:
4 out of 5
Asker's Comment:

Thank you. Thanks to all of the answers. Best Wishes for U.S.A. railway system. I just want to enjoy the train-trip in the U.S. in the future.

=======
Other Answers (10)

①Ed Fox:

Americans are obsessed with cars. Even 15 year old kids are in a big hurry to get their documents and buy a car.

Any train company is a business needing to make money to survive just like any other business.

If there are few people using the trains, then services have to be reduced. It is the height of stupidity for a train company to be running half empty trains just as airline don't operate half empty flights. To do so is the quickest route to bankruptcy.

People complain that America doesn't have a very good train service but they have brought it upon themselves with their obsession with driving everywhere and ignoring the facility to ride in comfort by train with someone else taking care of the driving

②Anonymous:

Generally, no, travel by train is not very popular in the U.S. Since its invention the automobile has been the preferred method of travel (we have the most extensive road network on the planet). The reason is because traveling by car offers greater flexibility than mass transit at a lower cost (though this is changing due to the rising price of gas). In fact, many people in the United States prefer travel by car to both air and train travel and it is not uncommon for people to drive 4,000+ km on a road trip (though the longest road trip I have ever personally taken was just under 3,000 km). Since air travel and automobile travel are becoming more expensive, train travel is becoming a competitive mode of business travel once again, but even so the "road trip" is still the preferred method of travel for leisure, and could be considered an American pass time itself.

Source(s):
Growing up in the U.S.

③I:

Train travel is very limited in the Us. Partly due to the size of the country. Air & road travel are alot more popular over longer distances. Although there are popular urban metro systems, railway infrastructure is limited. However the US government are currently looking at investing in key corridors including introducing high speed onto some of those corridors, mainly linking major cities on the east & west coast. High speed rail linking east & west coast is unlikely to be built in the near future due to the distance & significant cost.

④Mike:

Many large cities have commuter rail lines that carry people into the city center from the suburbs up to about forty miles away. There aren't many long distance trains in America. Perhaps for that reason they often sell out. I've found the long distance trains to be a pleasant way to travel if I'm not in a hurry. Except in the Washington, D.C. to NY corridor (practically a 200 mile commuter run), I would not take a train due in to a destination at 10:00AM and plan to attend a meeting at noon.

⑤Stephanie:

I opted to travel by Amtrak to NYC last summer as a means to something new in the scenic route. While it was "comfortable" it was long and ultimately boring (lots of trees and ground). Air travel takes the pain out of almost 24 hours in the confines of a slow moving train and strangers. It was a good experience, but not worth my time.

⑥Shadow:

certain locations in the united states train travel is popular. there are relaxing trains or old train used to educate the young children.

⑦leftuncheckd:

Not on long trips.

The Amtrak from Denver to Salt Lake is scenic, but too long. 7hours
The Rio Grande Ski Train from Denver to Winter Park Colorado is a good one.

⑧Chrysanthemum2011:

There are limited trains, but you are right - most people would rather drive or fly.

⑨Jordan Khalaf:

Yes, it is quite popular.

Source(s):
Jesus Christ Himself.

⑩D.jak:

no
頭像
大陸鐵道迷
優秀公民
優秀公民
文章: 54
註冊時間: 2011-08-06 15:40
來自: 雲南昆明

文章 大陸鐵道迷 »

沒有人對此發表評論?
歡迎註冊中國鐵路車迷網:http://fans.railcn.net
大陸BBS人氣比較旺
頭像
San
優秀公民
優秀公民
文章: 42
註冊時間: 2009-05-04 05:41
來自: Metro Kingdom

文章 San »

慢&貴
光這兩點就殺死所有的可能了
如果你真的嘗試過去美國火車旅行
你一定知道全美"最快"的東北阿斯拉Acela有多慢跟有多貴
速度比普通車快不了多少, 價格比飛機還貴, 車廂品質跟普通車也沒有很大的差別(多一張桌子)
要在美國搭火車旅行, 選一段嘗鮮即可, 否則是傷心又傷荷包
當地沒有這種旅行條件就不要強求, 就像你也很難在世界上再找到比美國航空旅行更方便的地區了
圖檔圖檔
A Li
X-N軌鐵道模型俱樂部
文章: 1284
註冊時間: 2003-02-13 14:23
來自: 台北
聯繫:

文章 A Li »

2002年 10年前了
有搭火車環美過...